So, I went for an AMD Athlon BE-2350 (45W TDP), 4GB Ram, a 750GB SATA Disk (the price break seems to be at this capacity, the 1TB disks are still a bit more expensive). All built and running Server 2008 64-bit – neat:-)
Now I just need to settle on the best way to migrate my domain. I don’t really want to do a straight upgrade to AD ’08 as I have a lot of past development junk hanging around in the current domain – including the E2k3 schema extensions (I’ve now moved into the cloud and use Windows Live Domains and Windows Live Mail with the Outlook Connector – recommended). But, I would like to keep the same domain name that I’ve used for a while now.
- Rename the existing domain, create a new domain with the old name and use ADMT to migrate
- Create a new domain with any old name, migrate with ADMT and then rename
- Copy data from the old servers to a workgroup; turn off the old domain; promote the workgroup to a domain with the old name and re-permission
- Use a different domain name altogether and migrate to that
- Upgrade the existing domain and just learn to live with the messy schema
I’m still considering options 1, 3 and 5 – will keep you posted!
Once I’ve decommissioned the existing domain I can free-up some hardware and continue with the on-going upgrade.